What is a Green Event?
Every time one of the 600+ student organizations and 100+ departments hosts an event–a meeting, lecture, fundraiser–the waste produced and energy wasted is immense. In an effort for UNC’s sustainability plan to reach all aspects of campus, the Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling and the Sustainability Office have created the Carolina Green Events program.
- create zero waste
- are energy and water efficient
- support local businesses, including local agriculture
- meet budget guidelines
- demonstrate your organization’s committment to sustainability
It’s easy to green your next event! The first step is to register for a training session. Once you are Green Event certified, you can start planning your green event with the help of OWRR staff.
Are you interested in becoming a certified Green Events Coordinator?
Join the Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling at a Green Events Training Session! Come out and learn everything you need to know in order to become a Green Events Coordinator and to host certified Green Events for your organization. Sessions generally last about 1 hour and count as a skills training for Public Service Scholars.
We host public training sessions during the Fall and Spring academic semesters. You are always welcome to schedule a private session for your organization by filling out a Green Event Training Request. For any questions, email email@example.com.
Planning a Green Event
Interested in hosting a Green Event?
Planning a green event may seem overwhelming at first, but we are here to help you!
- Attend a training session to become a certified Carolina Green Events coordinator. To get Green Event certified fill out this Green Event Training Request!
- Fill out the Green Events Checklist.
- The Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling (OWRR) will evaluate the preliminary checklist and contact you with any logistics questions.
- OWRR will help you publicize the event and recruit volunteers if you request it. OWRR is available to answer any of your questions during this process.
- (Day of the event): OWRR will provide the compost and recycling bins prior to event and help set them up. At the end of the event, OWRR will pick up the compost and bins.
- (After the event): OWRR will publish the event statistics to you so that you can forward them to your organization, the Daily Tar Heel, the Sustainability Office and various other stakeholders.