Residence Hall Recycling
Mini Move-in Guide
- Empty and flatten cardboard boxes used for packing.
- Bring these boxes to the blue recycling dumpsters located next to all trash dumpsters on campus. Look for special large containers labeled for cardboard recycling only.
- Please be sure all packing material has been removed from boxes. DO NOT put plastic wrap or foam packing material in the cardboard recycling dumpsters.
- Please place any regular trash in the appropriately labeled dumpster. Trash dumpsters on campus are usually green or gray in color.
- Keep an eye out for shrink wrap and Styrofoam recycling areas at each residence hall recycling site.
Waste Reduction Tips
- Pack in reusable crates and bags, save them for move-out.
- Pack conservatively – consider bringing winter items up later.
- Remove tubes from carpet rolls before arriving on-campus (request they be removed at the store).
- Remove appliances from boxes before arrival (especially fans).
- Recycle any cardboard that is produced.
Maps and Locations
|1351 Mason Farm Rd.||Baity Hill||South Campus||15|
|1401 Mason Farm Rd.||Baity Hill||South Campus||16|
|1501 Mason Farm Rd.||Baity Hill||South Campus||17|
|1503 Mason Farm Rd.||Baity Hill||South Campus||18|
|Alumni Hall||Olde Campus Upper Quad||North Campus||10|
|Aycock||Olde Campus Lower Quad||North Campus||8|
|Coates||223 E. Franklin Street||North Campus||1|
|Craige North||Manning West||South Campus||26|
|Ehringhaus East||Ehringhaus||South Campus||22|
|Ehringhaus North||Ehringhaus||South Campus||21|
|Emerson Drive||Olde Campus Upper Quad||North Campus||11|
|Hardin||Manning West||South Campus||27|
|Hinton James||Hinton James||South Campus||23|
|Horton||Manning East||South Campus||24|
|Jackson Hall||Olde Campus Lower Quad||North Campus||9|
|Koury||Manning East||South Campus||25|
|Ram Village 2||Ram Village||South Campus||29|
|Ram Village 3||Ram Village||South Campus||30|
|Ram Village 5||Ram Village||South Campus||31|
|Taylor Hall||Ram Village||South Campus||32|
Don’t Ditch It. Donate It!
Each spring, Carolina Housing partners with the Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling (OWRR) to make it easy for students to donate gently used items through the “Don’t Ditch It, Donate It!” program.
|Recyclable and Donatable Materials||Drop-Off Location||Preparation Instructions|
|Athletic Equipment||Donation Station||
|Bottles and Cans||Blue Recycling Carts, Outside|
|Cardboard||Blue Cardboard Dumpster, Outside|
|Cleaning Supplies||Donation Station||
|Electronics (Broken and Working)||Donation Station||
|Food, Unopened and Non-Perishable||Donation Station||
|Futon Frames||Place Next to Dumpster, Outside||
|Paper||Blue Recycling Carts, Outside|
|School and Office Supplies||Donation Station||
|Scrap Metal||Place Next to Dumpster, Outside|
|Toiletries and Personal Items, Unopened||Donation Station||
|Wood Waste, Clean and Untreated||Place Next to Dumpster, Outside|
|Wood Waste, Treated or Painted||Place in Open Top Dumpster (Rolloff)|
|Residence Hall||TROSA Donation Station||Extra Trash Containers|
|Alderman||Kenan 1st floor TV lounge||open top rolloff|
|Alexander||Joyner 1st floor lounge|
|Avery||Avery 1st floor lounge||closed dumpster|
|Aycock||2nd floor study lounge #235||closed dumpster|
|Baity Hill||Two PODS in exterior parking lot||open top rolloff (BLDG 1503), trailer|
|Carmichael||Carmichael Multipurpose room||open top rolloff|
|Cobb||Cobb 1st floor piano lounge||open top rolloff|
|Connor||Pavilion 2nd floor lounge||open top rolloff|
|Craige||Basement elevator lobby||open top rolloff|
|Craige North||Basement lounge #B32||open top rolloff|
|Ehringhaus||Ehaus Basement Lounge/Mail Room||2 open top rolloffs|
|Everett||Everett 1st floor Lounge||open top rolloff|
|Graham||2nd floor study lounge #235||closed dumpster|
|Granville||POD, Agora Side|
|Grimes||Mangum 1st floor lounge||open top rolloff (Emerson Dr.)|
|Hardin||Morrison 1st floor theater||open top rolloff|
|Hinton James||Hinton James 1st floor multipurpose lounge||open top rolloff|
|Horton||Hinton James 1st floor Game Room||open top rolloff|
|Joyner||Joyner 1st floor lounge||open top rolloff|
|Kenan||Kenan 1st floor TV lounge||open top rolloff|
|Koury||Koury Basement Lounge #B87||open top rolloff|
|Lewis||Lewis 1st floor lounge||open top rolloff|
|Mangum||Mangum 1st floor lounge||open top rolloff (Emerson Dr)|
|Manly||Mangum 1st floor lounge||open top rolloff (Emerson Dr)|
|McIver||Kenan 1st floor TV lounge||open top rolloff|
|Morrison||Morrison 1st floor lounge||open top rolloff|
|Old East||Old West 1st floor lounge|
|Old West||Old West 1st floor lounge|
|Parker||Avery 1st floor lounge||open top rolloff|
|Ram Village 1||RV 1 Basement Multi-Purpose Room||open top rolloff|
|Ram Village 2||RV 1 Basement Multi-Purpose Room||open top rolloff|
|Ram Village 3||RV 1 Basement Multi-Purpose Room||open top rolloff|
|Ram Village 5||1st floor reading room||open top rolloff|
|Ruffin||Mangum 1st floor lounge||open top rolloff (Emerson Dr.)|
|Spencer||Spencer 1st floor parlor||closed dumpster (next to Joyner)|
|Stacy||Everett 1st floor lounge|
|Taylor||Taylor Basement Elevator Lobby||open top rolloff|
|Teague||Basement multi-purpose room||open top rolloff|
|Winston||Pavilion 2nd floor lounge||open top rolloff|
Carpet and Scrap Metal Sites
- All scrap metal (including futon frames) should be placed in the designated bulk waste sites next to the dumpsters and extra containers.
- The sites will be marked by labeled orange cones.
- The materials will be picked up and recycled.
- Do not place futon frames and carpet in the dumpsters.
All residence halls, except for Granville Towers, have compost carts located in their waste disposal area. Some communities share compost carts with other communities. Check with your RA to find the closest compost cart to your location. Compost carts are either black or green, but all are labeled clearly for compost. Do NOT put compost into the blue recycling carts.
Residents may check out a compost bucket from their communities for personal use. Collect compost in your bucket, and empty your bucket when full into the outdoor compost cart. The compost buckets are airtight and small enough to fit into your mini fridge. Residents are responsible for emptying the bins on a regular basis. At the end of the year, students may keep the bucket for additional years, or recycle in the Bottles & Cans container during Move-Out. Outdoor carts are emptied weekly and sent to a local compost facility.
How to Compost in Your Residence Hall
- Check out a bin from your community main office.
- Collect food scraps and organic waste.
- Remember the compost rule of thumb, “If it was once alive, it is compostable.”
- Empty your bin weekly into the green or black compost cart at your designated waste site.
- Remember to clean out your bin as needed.
- Keep your bin for the following year, or recycle it during Move-Out.