Green Labs is a committee that brings together students, staff, and faculty who are interested in green issues in a lab setting. This could be anyone currently working a lab building: lab managers, P.I.s, graduate students, building managers, or anyone else who has insight on what kinds of waste lab buildings produce, and what kinds of unique energy and water needs they have and what efficiencies could be explored. This committee also seeks interested EHS personnel, people from recycling, sustainability, energy management, and other departments as well as student groups interested in brainstorming ideas and solutions geared towards making UNC’s labs greener.
The Green Labs committee has been a part of many exciting waste reduction, water reduction, and energy efficiency improvements in labs on campus, as well as campus-wide. We hope you will be a part of what this committee can become in the future! If you are interested in joining the committee, being added to the green labs listserv, or have ideas or suggestions for the committee please send an email to the Green Labs committee at email@example.com.
This excellent resource was created by a group of students in an environmental Capstone class, working for the Green Labs committee. You may request a hard copy by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or download a PDF by clicking on the picture to the left.
- Friend and follow Green Games on Facebook!
- What Can I Recycle? (including information on lab plastics, lab glass, plastic film, 5-gallon steel drums, and Styrofoam recycling)
- LEAP (lab equipment and assistance procurement) is a UNC listserv for sharing and swapping lab equipment and supplies. Send an email to join.
- Information on glass repair
- Nitrile glove recycling: the undergraduate chemistry labs are recycling nitrile gloves through Kimberly-Clark. Please contact Nita Eskew for information.
- Green Labs Best Practices Checklist
- Information about the Renewable Energy Special Project Committee’s Efficient Freezer Rebate Program!
- Freezer Maintenance Tips
- Green Labs Best Practices Guide
- Styrofoam Recycling Flyer
- GreenerU Webinar Notes
- Recycling Lab Poster
- Energy Management Lab Poster