Skip to main content

Indoor Office Recycling ChartDesk-side bins are emptied by office staff into central collection sites locations inside campus buildings. To purchase a desk-side recycling bin, you may order from Staples ($6.76 at time of publication, Item Number: 758215). If your office or department needs to establish a central collection site for Bottles & Cans or Mixed Paper, please contact us at 919-962-1442 or email

You may also recycle other items, including confidential paper, printer cartridges, computer disks, packing peanuts, computer monitors & circuit boards, and batteries. See the Office Clean-Out Guide below!

Look up your building’s current recycling locations and collection schedule in your building or submit an online recycling service request.

Confidential Materials

Confidential paper must be boxed and labeled. Call 919-962-1442 or fill out a service request to request a pickup. Remove all contaminants such as binder clips, rubber bands, metal or plastic, and transparencies. There is an $10 charge per box – please specify your account number when requesting service.

For other confidential material, such as transparencies, microfiche or x-rays, visit our list of data destruction companies. Electronic media storage devices, including hard drives and tape drives, can be sent to the University Surplus Property for shredding ($3/hard drive, $0.50/video tape).

Requesting Temporary Bins

Moving offices or doing a file purge? Please reserve temporary bins for recyclables by filling out an OWRR service request or calling 919-962-4699.

We can deliver as many bins as needed, and these bins can accommodate higher-than-normal volumes of recyclables without filling up the permanent recycling bins too quickly. Temporary bins can be emptied multiple times before they are taken away. Please contact us at least 48 hours before you will need the bins delivered.

Please follow the regular recycling guidelines for mixed paper. By North Carolina Statute, all University records belong to the public, even if they are confidential. However, not all documents must be kept in perpetuity. Please follow the University Archives and Records Management Services (UARMS) Record Retention Schedule and Guidelines when purging files.

If you’re moving…

Send packing peanuts through campus mail to Scientific Supply (CB #1130). No other Styrofoam material is accepted for recycling.

Take your desk-side recycling bin to your new location, but please do not remove the large OWRR bins. Let OWRR know when you move in to your new location so that we can deliver new bins and add them to the pickup schedule.

Electronics & Hard-to-Recycle Items: Who to Contact

To recycle electronics and hard-to-recycle items, contact the following departments:

  • Batteries: Environment, Health and Safety
  • Compact fluorescent bulbs: Environment, Health and Safety
  • Computer disks, CDs, DVDs and video tapes: Surplus Property
  • Computers and computer equipment (both working and non-working): Surplus Property
  • Hardback books: Call OWRR for a special pickup (softcover books may be included in mixed paper bins)
  • Furniture: Surplus Property
  • Inkjet and Laser Toner Cartridges: Inkjet and laser toner cartridges from departmental printers can be recycled through Staples. Used cartridges should be boxed, clearly labeled as “Staples printer cartridges” and given to Staples personnel when they deliver Staples orders or left in a designated accessible location. All questions or concerns regarding the timing of Staples deliveries or pickups should be directed to Staples Customer Support at
  • Xerox Multifunction Device Toner Cartridges: Toner cartridges from Xerox multifunction devices are recycled by Carolina Managed Print Services. Used Xerox toner cartridges should be placed in an empty cartridge box or other box, labeled “Xerox printer cartridges” and left at your building’s campus mailbox station for pickup by University Mail Services. Questions about recycling or pickup of Xerox cartridges should be directed to Zanetta Bailey, University Mail Services, at 919-962-5474 or

Office Clean Out Contacts

Central Receiving: 919-843-2008
Environment, Health and Safety: 919-962-5507
OWRR: 919-962-1442
University Surplus Property Warehouse: 919-962-2134

Any other university-owned equipment may be sent to Surplus Property.

For any other potentially hazardous chemical or product, contact Environment, Health and Safety.

For more information on electronic media recycling please visit UNC ITS’s website.

These bins are in Manning Hall.  The bins are located in a central area in the main hallway of each floor.

Manning Hall RecyclingManning Hall Recycling

Carrington Hall also has bins on each floor in central locations. The recycling areas are much more aesthetically pleasing vs. having bins scattered in the hallway.

Carrington Hall RecyclingCarrington Hall Recycling

These bins are located at the Law School in Van Hecke-Wettach Hall. They have been customized to fit with the building interior.

Van Hecke-Wettach RecyclingVan Hecke-Wettach Recycling

Beard Hall has central recycling bins in the large break room located on the first floor.

Beard Hall RecyclingBeard Hall Recycling

Hamilton Hall has a customized central recycling container on the 3rd floor. The bulletin board above the bin is used for campus recycling information.

Hamilton Hall Recycling

The cabinets in the Business School are located in central areas on each floor as well as in the café on the first level.

Kenan-Flagler Business School RecyclingKenan-Flagler Business School Recycling

Order Information

  • Cabinets similar to those pictured in Beard, Carrington, Hamilton, Manning, and Van Hecke-Wettach Halls are available through the Carpentry Shop.  Please call Lou Buarotti in the Carpentry Shop at 919-962-6678 for more information.
  • Please contact our office if you need assistance with any part of the ordering process…quantity and type of cabinets needed, placement locations, labeling information etc. at or 919-962-1442.

Learn More

Interested in learning more about waste reduction, reuse, and recycling at UNC? Host a Recycling Facilitator (ReF) Training, tailored specifically for UNC staff and faculty. This one hour, interactive seminar will cover the basics of UNC waste reduction and recycling programs, present current composting opportunities, debunk recycling myths, discuss green purchasing options, and answer all of your recycling and compost related questions.

To schedule a ReF training for your office or department, contact us at

Recycling Flyers