As we enter the height of mosquito season, we would like to remind all staff about the basics of Zika and how to protect against it.
The Zika virus spreads to people primarily through the bite of infected mosquitoes. There is no vaccine to prevent Zika. The best way to prevent the spread of mosquito-borne disease is to protect yourself against mosquito bites:
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants
- Stay in places with air conditioning and window and door screens to keep mosquitoes outside
- Treat clothing and gear with permethrin or buy pre-treated items
- Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents and reapply per product instructions
- Remove standing water where mosquitoes could lay eggs
We encourage you to read the following information sheets and post in your work areas. For more resources regarding Zika and Zika prevention, please visit the Environmental Health & Safety Zika Virus Preparedness website.