Below are frequently asked questions regarding Facilities Services current operations. This information will be updated as necessary in accordance with CDC guidelines and as campus conditions and operations change.
For the latest information and updates on the University’s phased plan for return to campus, visit the Carolina Together website.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How is the University cleaning and disinfecting campus?
- Housekeeping Services has increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces in public spaces, including but not limited to: building entrances, door handles, lobby furniture, stair handrails, ADA door controls, elevator buttons, light switches, time clocks, and restroom surfaces and fixtures. These surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected multiple times daily. Visit Enhanced Cleaning Frequencies for a detailed list.
- What cleaning products and procedures are being used to clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces?
- Housekeeping Services uses CDC/Environmental Protection Agency recommended cleaning products and according to CDC guidelines. Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) has reviewed and approved the cleaning products used by Housekeeping staff, and cleaning protocols were developed with EHS input and approval. All Housekeeping staff receive training in the appropriate and effective use of these products and are provided with PPE that is appropriate to their job duties and products used. Facilities Services is working with vendors, distribution partners and suppliers to ensure an uninterrupted supply of these cleaning supplies and the necessary staff PPE.
- How is the University reconfiguring classroom spaces to support physical distancing and other health and safety measures?
- The University is assessing campus spaces and reconfiguring in-person course instruction to support compliance with the physical distancing guideline, face mask guideline, and other health and safety measures as recommended by public health officials. When indoors, all individuals must wear a face mask and maintain 6 feet of physical distance in accordance with these guidelines. Some University buildings may have alternate or additional facility-specific requirements. Visit the guide to Classroom Spaces for more information.
- How can University staff keep shared workspaces clean?
- Employees should wipe down commonly used surfaces before and after use. These surfaces include shared-space equipment such as copiers and printers, desks and tables, light switches, door handles, coffee makers and break room tables and appliance doors. EPA-registered 60% to 90% alcohol solution cleansers will be provided for this purpose in each workplace, classroom, dining facility, residence hall, library and other University facilities. Handwashing stations or hand sanitizer dispensers will also be installed throughout campus buildings, particularly at key building entrances and near elevators, restrooms and common areas.
- In addition to following University community standards, how will Facilities staff promote best practices within the workplace and when working across campus?
- Before returning to campus, all employees will be required to complete an online Protecting the Carolina Community from COVID-19 training course. This course includes information on mitigating transmission, guidelines for eliminating or minimizing hazards, and the appropriate use of and disposal of Community Protective Equipment (CPE).
Appropriate PPE will be worn by staff based on roles and responsibilities and in adherence to current guidance. All staff will be provided with face masks and required to wear them while on campus. Gloves will be provided to staff who provide housekeeping services or who are in direct contact with faculty, staff or students.
Facilities staff have been instructed to wash or sanitize their hands for 20 seconds every 60 minutes and after any of the following activities: using the restroom, touching the face, sneezing or blowing the nose, cleaning, eating or drinking, going on or returning from break, and before and after each shift.
Shared tools and equipment will be disinfected before, during and after each shift or whenever equipment is transferred to a new employee. This equipment includes but is not limited to: phones, radios, computers, cleaning equipment, tools, keys and other direct contact items used by Facilities staff.
- Are campus residence halls being cleaned and disinfected prior to the return of students to campus?
- Housekeeping Services will clean and disinfect all University residence halls and apartments prior to student move-in in accordance with CDC and Environment, Health and Safety guidelines.
- What steps are Facilities Services taking for reopening campus buildings?
- Building Services staff are changing air filters and performing preventive maintenance on building HVAC systems before they are brought back online. Building plumbing systems are also being flushed to remove stagnant or standing water.
- Can departments continue to place standard work orders and maintenance requests?
- Departments can submit work orders and maintenance requests by calling Facilities Customer Service at 962-3456 or submitting an online Service Request. Response times will vary and may be extended due to reduced Facilities staffing and operations.
- Can Community Protective Equipment, or CPE, be placed in campus recycling collection containers?
- CPE, including face masks and gloves, is not recyclable and should be disposed of in campus trash collection containers.