You may also recycle other items, including confidential paper, printer cartridges, computer disks, packing peanuts, computer monitors & circuit boards, and batteries. See the Office Clean-Out Guide below!
Confidential paper must be boxed and labeled. Call 919-962-1442 or fill out a service request to request a pickup. Remove all contaminants such as binder clips, rubber bands, metal or plastic, and transparencies. There is an $10 charge per box – please specify your account number when requesting service.
For other confidential material, such as transparencies, microfiche or x-rays, visit our list of data destruction companies. Electronic media storage devices, including hard drives and tape drives, can be sent to the University Surplus Property for shredding ($3/hard drive, $0.50/video tape).
Requesting Temporary Bins
Moving offices or doing a file purge? Please reserve temporary bins for recyclables by filling out an OWRR service request or calling 919-962-4699.
We can deliver as many bins as needed, and these bins can accommodate higher-than-normal volumes of recyclables without filling up the permanent recycling bins too quickly. Temporary bins can be emptied multiple times before they are taken away. Please contact us at least 48 hours before you will need the bins delivered.
Please follow the regular recycling guidelines for mixed paper. By North Carolina Statute, all University records belong to the public, even if they are confidential. However, not all documents must be kept in perpetuity. Please follow the University Archives and Records Management Services (UARMS) Record Retention Schedule and Guidelines when purging files.
If you’re moving…
Send packing peanuts through campus mail to Scientific Supply (CB #1130). No other Styrofoam material is accepted for recycling.
Take your desk-side recycling bin to your new location, but please do not remove the large OWRR bins. Let OWRR know when you move in to your new location so that we can deliver new bins and add them to the pickup schedule.
Electronics & Hard-to-Recycle Items: Who to Contact
To recycle electronics and hard-to-recycle items, contact the following departments:
- Batteries: Environment, Health and Safety
- Compact fluorescent bulbs: Environment, Health and Safety
- Computer disks, CDs, DVDs and video tapes: Surplus Property
- Computers and computer equipment (both working and non-working): Surplus Property
- Hardback books: Call OWRR for a special pickup (softcover books may be included in mixed paper bins)
- Inkjet cartridges: sent through campus mail to OWRR at CB # 1805 for recycling
- Furniture: Surplus Property
- Laser toner cartridges: Central Receiving
Office Clean Out Contacts
Central Receiving: 919-843-2008
Environment, Health and Safety: 919-962-5507
University Surplus Property Warehouse: 919-962-2134
Any other university-owned equipment may be sent to Surplus Property.
For any other potentially hazardous chemical or product, contact Environment, Health and Safety.
For more information on electronic media recycling please visit UNC ITS’s website.
- Cabinets similar to those pictured in Beard, Carrington, Hamilton, Manning, and Van Hecke-Wettach Halls are available through the Carpentry Shop. Please call Lou Buarotti in the Carpentry Shop at 919-962-6678 for more information.
- Please contact our office if you need assistance with any part of the ordering process…quantity and type of cabinets needed, placement locations, labeling information etc. at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-962-1442.
Interested in learning more about waste reduction, reuse, and recycling at UNC? Host a Recycling Facilitator (ReF) Training, tailored specifically for UNC staff and faculty. This one hour, interactive seminar will cover the basics of UNC waste reduction and recycling programs, present current composting opportunities, debunk recycling myths, discuss green purchasing options, and answer all of your recycling and compost related questions.
To schedule a ReF training for your office or department, contact us at email@example.com.