Skip to main content

What to do if your State Vehicle breaks down

The UNC Fleet Management Department manages the UNC Service Station and serves as the central administrator for over 850 University-owned and leased vehicles. The UNC Service Station is located at 109 Airport Drive, behind the Giles Horney Building, and provides preventative and emergency service and repairs to campus vehicles. If you experience trouble with your State vehicle, please refer to the following guidelines for obtaining assistance:

Motor Fleet Vehicles

The University currently leases approximately 170 vehicles from Motor Fleet Management in Raleigh. These vehicles are primarily passenger cars, minivans and SUVs. They can be identified by the five or six-digit number on the windshield.

If your Motor Fleet vehicle breaks down while you are in or within five miles of the Chapel Hill area, simply call Talbert’s Towing, our designated towing service, at 919-906-3999 or 919-933-0066. They are available 24/7 and will tow your vehicle to the UNC Service Station.

If you are outside the Chapel Hill area and have problems with your Motor Fleet vehicle, please call the Motor Fleet Repair Authorization and Accident number at 800-277-8181 for 24-hour emergency assistance, and they will arrange for towing and repairs. If a rental car is needed, you can rent a vehicle through Enterprise Rent-a-Car.

University-Owned Vehicles

University-owned vehicles can be identified by the three-digit number on the windshield. These vehicles are generally full-size pickups, vans, and trucks.

If you experience trouble with a University-owned vehicle while you are in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham or the surrounding areas, you can use the same procedure as with Motor Fleet vehicles and contact Talbert’s Towing to have the vehicle towed to the UNC Service Station.

If you are out of the area when your University-owned vehicle breaks down, we do not offer roadside assistance. Local police can assist you with arranging for towing to a local service station. The driver will need to pay for any towing and repair charges and can then request an expense reimbursement through his/her department. The UNC Service Station can provide support in these emergency situations; contact us at 919-966-2967 or 919-883-9224 during normal business hours for assistance with locating services stations, contacting towing services, and obtaining rental vehicles.

For questions or concerns about emergency assistance for your State vehicle, please contact Mark Stark, Fleet Operations Manager, at