- Place recyclable paper products in the Mixed Paper Bins.
- Keep paper dry.
- Paper should be no smaller than a credit card.
- Paper clips and staples are okay.
- Please remove rubber bands and binder clips.
Types of Mixed Paper
- Printer and office paper
- Junk mail
- Magazines and journals
- Softcover books
- Carbonless (NCR) forms
- Post-it notes
- Manila folders
- Envelopes (plastic windows are okay)
- Paperboard boxes (cereal and food boxes)
What is Confidential Paper Recycling?
Confidential paper recycling allows University departments to recycle confidential documents in a secure manner. Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling (OWRR) employees pick up boxed confidential paper from your office.
Confidential information includes:
- Social Security numbers
- Personnel and payroll records
- Academic records
- Medical information
Confidential Paper does NOT include:
- Junk Mail
Paper that has already been shredded can be collected as part of a regular indoor recycling collection service. Shredded paper must be bagged separately using CLEAR plastic bags. Bags of shredded paper can be placed next to a mixed paper recycling bin in your building.
How To Prepare Documents for Pick Up
- Place confidential paper in boxes and label as “Confidential Recycling.” Boxes must be no larger than 24″ long x 10″ high x 12″ deep. OWRR does not provide boxes. Please note that the following items are considered contamination and must be removed from paper:
- Metal hanging folders
- Binder clips
- Carbon paper
- Rubber bands
- Request a confidential paper pickup using the online confidential paper pickup request.
- Keep all confidential materials secure until scheduled pickup.
- There is a charge of $10 per box for pickup and destruction of confidential paper. Confidential paper is collected on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
For non-paper confidential materials, please see the “Confidential Document Resources” tab.
Please contact University Surplus for the following items:
- Medical slides
For further confidential services, please contact the companies listed below: