Print or download the December Program Theme.
Did you know?
- Americans throw away about 25% more trash between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve.
- If every American family wrapped just 3 presents in reused materials, it would save enough paper to cover 45,000 football fields.
- 35% of Americans have an unused Christmas present collecting dust in their closet.
- About 2.65 billion holiday cards are sold in the United States each year.
Ways to cut down on wasteful spending/giving
- Instead of sending holiday cards, consider a phone call or electronic cards!
- Consider giving gently used items as gifts! This keeps usable goods out of landfills.
- Consider eco-friendly gifts like reusable water bottles, reusable shopping bags, etc.
- Consider fair-trade, locally/organically grown gifts
- Use reusable packaging!
- Cut down on the meat on your next holiday party
- Get an accurate count of attendance to parties to cut down on wasted food
Travelling is a very integral part of the holidays, so it’s important to think of the environmental impacts.
Sustainable Tourism can be simply defined as “Tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social, and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and hose communities.