Carolina is exploring a redevelopment project in the 100 block of Franklin Street, an important entryway between the University and town.
Campus Master Plan
In 2019 UNC-Chapel Hill updated its Campus Master Plan, the physical framework that supports the University’s mission as a center for research, scholarship and creativity.
What is the Campus Master Plan?
- Informed by The Blueprint for Next, the University’s strategic framework, to advance a series of initiatives that define how Carolina will continue its leadership as a next-generation university.
- Addresses the role of all University landholdings over the next 10-20 years.
- Takes a comprehensive and long-term look beyond what exists today to envision a physical framework to serve future generations.
What Defines This Master Plan?
Ideas developed alongside the University’s Strategic Framework.
- Of the public, for the public.
- Innovation made fundamental.
- The New Graduate
- The Great Convergence
- Modernizing Student Support
- Carolina Whole Health
- Culture of Innovation
- Arts Everywhere
Ideas that are both operational and aspirational.
- Achieve greater efficiency and higher utilization
- Transform how Carolina works
- Bold ideas
- Leading edge strategies
- Innovative implementation partnerships
What and how we build has always mattered; the qualities of the campus reflect the institution’s values. Over the past two decades, four planning principles have guided incredible growth and development of UNC-Chapel Hill’s campus. They reflect the core values reaffirmed by the collective University community.
- Support Carolina’s mission.
- Engage in initiatives that impact the town, region, state, nation and world.
- Activate the University’s innovative, creative and diverse culture.
- Build a campus of enduring character and quality.
Planning Process and Timeline
Listening sessions and input from the campus community identified key planning drivers that established the foundation of the planning process. Pre-planning studies assessed key planning drivers, built a deeper understanding of how the campus operates today, and identified opportunities for impactful change. An Executive Steering Committee has guided this process to ensure its consistency with the University’s vision and priorities.
Redesigning Porthole Alley
Information Sessions Scheduled for Porthole Alley Redevelopment Project
Members of the University and local communities are invited to attend one of several upcoming information sessions to learn more about the opportunity for renewal and redevelopment of Porthole Alley.
Community Workshops Scheduled for Porthole Alley Redevelopment Project
Members of the University and local communities are invited to attend one of several upcoming workshops to provide feedback about the opportunity for renewal and redevelopment of Porthole Alley.