Resources and Links
This information supports and supplements information included in the UNC-Chapel Hill Design Guidelines—specifically, Chapter II: Construction Documents Submittal requirements, Chapter III: Construction and Demolition Waste Management and Chapter V: Sections 01606, 01505, and 02070.
|Janine Onufrak Rydin
|will visit building to assess tile
|clean (unpainted) drywall scrap
|no minimum quantity – call before coming
|Cabins, Cottages, and Bungalows and the Building Supply Recycling Center
|deconstruction services; used building materials
|windows, architectural features, whole buildings
|GreenCycle Materials (formerly International Aggregate)
|asphalt, plumbing fixtures, bricks, concrete blocks (no plastic tile)
|dump yard is located at US 70 and I-85 in Durham
|Habitat for Humanity (Wake)
|strips out, deconstruction
|will visit building to assess carpet (wants vinyl-backed)
|Mellott Contractors & Supply Company, Inc
|top soil, concrete w/ metal (if thick enough), rock, and trees for mulch
|big electrical switches, scrap metal
|will visit building to bid
|Orange County Landfill
|scrap metal, clean wood waste, white goods (refrigerants removed)
|must be separated, no or reduced tip fee
|Peters Design Works
|Sales, restoration and re-creation of antique and architectural materials.
|interested in architectural features
|They accept plate glass and will spot a rolloff. They also accept borosilicate glass.
|The fee depends on the quality and quantity. They will come and evaluate glass.
Permitted by Orange County (RRMO)
Cardboard, clean wood waste, pallets and scrap metal are banned from Orange County Landfills and the mixed hauling of them is regulated. Options include separating materials on the jobsite for recycling and segregated disposal –or– utilizing an APPROVED material recovery facility that takes mixed waste and separates it for recycling. All haulers hauling the regulated materials (separated or mixed) must be licensed by Orange County. For a list of licensed haulers, contact Orange County Solid Waste Management Department at 919-968-2788.
Current Certified MRFs
421 Raleigh View Rd.
Raleigh, NC 27610
5833 Foster Store Rd.
Liberty, NC 27298
- Durham Waste Reductions & Sustainability
- Orange County Solid Waste Management
- Orange County Regulated Recyclable Material Ordinance
- Institution Recycling Network – “We provide a single point of contact to handle everything related to recycling: planning, training, on-site management, hauling, and marketing the recycled materials. We assure that waste management fits seamlessly into the project. Recycling does not need to get in the way, slow the job down, or take up extra space. On the contrary, recycling makes for a safer and more productive work site.
- Green Goat – “Green Goat, a non-profit, works with architects, contractors, and manufacturers to put used building materials back into other structures and even other industries. We save companies disposal costs through salvage and recycling, help them stay in compliance with regulations, and help them win new clients!”
- National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Construction Codes and Standards
- Oakland Recycles C&D Waste Management Forms
- BRE SmartWaste – “The BRE SMARTWaste System is a set of computer-based tools to help your company apply the concept of sustainable waste management. The system monitors construction and demolition wastes, monitors segregation targets, and calculates Environmental Performance Indicators (EPIs). Through close links with SalvoMIE and BREMAP, the system also identifies opportunities for reuse and recycling and the location of suitable facilities for this.”
- CIRIA (Formerly known as The Construction Industry Research and Information Association) – “The intention of this website is to encourage waste reduction and improved resource productivity in the building and civil engineering sectors.”