News and Updates
August 30, 2016
Public information meeting about 2016 Carolina North Annual Report set for Sept. 29
A public information meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 29, to receive comments and feedback on the 2016 Carolina North Development Agreement Annual Report to the Town of Chapel Hill. The meeting will be held in the Magnolia Conference Room (100A) of the Giles F. Horney Building at 103 Airport Drive. Free parking is available, and Chapel Hill Transit serves the building via the NU route.
The report is posted online, where the public can also access the Carolina North conservation areas monitoring reports by the Triangle Land Conservancy.
Carolina North is envisioned as a mixed-use academic campus on university-owned property along Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, two miles north of the main campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. University and Town representatives signed a development agreement in 2009 that covers the first 20 years of development on the site. The agreement contains guidelines and standards for the development of the first 3 million square feet of a mixed-use research and academic campus on 133 acres.
The annual report lets the Town and public know what development activities have occurred on the Carolina North site in the past year and the ways in which the University is complying with the terms of the development agreement. The report is part of the structure established by the agreement for providing continued town-gown communication. The report will also be posted online at http://www.townofchapelhill.org/town-hall/news-events/current-issues/carolina-north/carolina-north.
Town Manager Roger Stancil will review the report and the public input before reporting to the Town Council on his review of the development agreement and its requirements.
Public input is welcome. Send comments about the annual report or other issues related to Carolina North at any time to email@example.com or write Town of Chapel Hill Planning Department, Carolina North, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Chapel Hill, NC 27514.
Detailed information is available online at http://www.townofchapelhill.org/town-hall/news-events/current-issues/carolina-north/carolina-north and http://carolinanorth.unc.edu/. To be added to a mailing list to receive regular updates about the Carolina North development agreement, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
UNC responds to public comments received by Army Corps of Engineers
In the latest stage of the application process that addresses stream and wetland impacts at the Carolina North site, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill responded June 29, 2011, to citizen and state agency comments received about the application by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
On June 3, 2011, the N.C. Division of Water Quality (DWQ) requested additional information for the 401 Water Quality Certification application for Carolina North. The University responded June 27, 2011.
The University first submitted its application for a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Individual Permit and a 401 Water Quality Certification in January 2011. After submittal, the Corps made two requests for additional information, and the University responded with the required information. The application has been updated with this additional information, and the two Corps requests for additional information and the University’s responses are also included as separate items, January 18, 2011, ACE notice and UNC-CH response, and February 24, 2011, ACE notice and UNC-CH response. The complete application is available as one PDF.
When the Corps deemed the application complete, it issued a 30-day Public Notice, April 8-May 9, 2011. During this time, the Corps accepted comments from the public and considered them in the evaluation of the application.
Plans, Reports & Studies
- Carolina North Land Stewardship Policy
- 2011 Carolina North Proposed Conservation Area Descriptions Report
- 2013 Carolina North Baseline Monitoring Report
- 2013 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek East
- 2013 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek West
- 2013 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Crow Branch
- 2014 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek East
- 2014 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek West
- 2014 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Crow Branch
- 2015 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek East
- 2015 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek West
- 2015 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Crow Branch
- 2016 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek East
- 2016 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek West
- 2016 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Crow Branch
- 2017 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek East
- 2017 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Bolin Creek West
- 2017 Carolina North Monitoring Report – Crow Branch
- Campus-to-Campus Connector Maps, 1/15/2010
- Carolina North Design Framework. Presentation to Board of Trustees from July 23, 2007
- Carolina North Design Guidelines 2008, 4/21/2009
- Carolina North Development Agreement, 11/19/2009
- Ductbank Project Questions & Answers
- Ecological Assessment Report for Carolina North (beginning through appendix 3)
- Ecological Assessment Report for Carolina North (appendix 4 through end)
- Minor Modification Approval Letter
- Minor Modification Request
- Recorded Declaration of Restrictive Covenants
- Site Investigation & Development Options Evaluation Report
- 2016 Carolina North Annual Report Public Meeting 9-29-16
- 2015 Carolina North Annual Report Public Meeting 9-17-15
- 2014 Carolina North Annual Report
- 2013 Annual Report Public Meeting 09/16/2013
- Town of Chapel Hill 2013 Annual Report 09/16/2013
- Carolina North Update January 30, 2013
- Public Information Meeting 06/27/2012
- March 2012 BOT Carolina North Update
- Carolina North Update Public Information 01/19/12
- Elkin Hills Neighbor Meeting 11-2-2011
- 10-26-2011 Town Council Meeting
- Public Information Meeting 09/13/2011
- Glen Heights Neighborhood Meeting 9/21/11
- Innovation Center Special Use Permit presentation
- Presentation of the fiscal impact analysis report, 3/31/2009
- TischlerBise’s Fiscal Impact Analysis final report for Phase 1 of Carolina North
- Estimate of Indirect Benefits/Impacts Associated with Carolina North
- Appendix to the Fiscal Impact Analysis: Level of Service/Cost & Revenue Assumptions
- Briefing on Preliminary Results: Fiscal Impact Analysis of Carolina North
- Minor Modification 2012-1 Request
- Letter from Chancellor Thorp to Mayor Foy
- Projected program for Carolina North
- Phased plans and overlay diagrams
- Carolina North design guidelines, 2008 draft
- 2012 Carolina North Development Agreement Assessment
- Carolina North Plan report
- Carolina North Ecological Assessment full report, Oct. 2007 (beginning through appendix 3)
- Carolina North Ecological Assessment full report, Oct. 2007 (appendix 4 through end)
- PowerPoint presentation of the Transportation Impact Analysis, 5/7/2009
- The Transportation Impact Analysis presented to the Town of Chapel Hill, 5/1/2009
- The Transportation Impact Analysis Executive Summary
- Detailed Transportation Impact Analysis: Introduction
- Detailed Transportation Impact Analysis: Existing Conditions
- Detailed Transportation Impact Analysis: Future Conditions without Proposed Development
- Detailed Transportation Impact Analysis: Project Impacts
- Detailed Transportation Impact Analysis: Mitigation Measures
- Detailed Transportation Impact Analysis: Greenhouse Gas Emissions