University faculty and staff needing short-term vehicle rentals utilize Enterprise Rent-a-Car or National Car Rental, approved vendors with the State of North Carolina. Enterprise and National offer competitive rates, the newest makes and models of vehicles, and inclusive auto coverage.
University employees who need a motor vehicle to perform official University business may reserve an Enterprise or National vehicle online through Concur Travel or directly with World Travel, Inc. World Travel may be reached via email at email@example.com or by phone at 877-602-4950.
For instructions on setting up your Concur profile, creating a travel request and placing a vehicle reservation, visit the Finance and Budget Concur website.
Faculty and staff should review the travel policy guidelines and use the most efficient and cost-effective travel options for you and your department. Using a rental vehicle is often less expensive than using a personal vehicle, and insurance is included in all Enterprise and National reservations. For information regarding reimbursement for travel expenses, please reference the Transportation Expenses policy.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I pay for a rental vehicle?
- During the booking process, you will need to provide either a Travel & Expense (T&E) Card or a personal credit card to complete the reservation. This form of payment will also need to be presented at the counter when picking up the vehicle. Emerald Club members can add their form of payment to their Emerald Club account to expedite the pick-up process. Rental expenses will then be reconciled/reimbursed via an Expense Report in Concur at the completion of the trip.
- Where is the closest Enterprise facility?
- The closest Enterprise rental location is located at 1400 E. Franklin Street. To reach the Chapel Hill Enterprise office, call 919-967-5128; when the line picks up, press the * key to avoid being transferred to another office or the national call center.
- What are the Enterprise hours of operation?
- Hours of operation vary by location; please inquire directly with the branch you are renting from for their specific hours. The Franklin Street location is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., and closed Sunday.
- Where can I park my personal vehicle when picking up a rental at the Franklin Street Enterprise location?
- We have designated parking spots at University Place where you may leave your personal vehicle if needed, and can provide transportation to and from the lot to the facility. (Due to lot constraints we do not have room for customer parking onsite.) Rental vehicles should be picked up and dropped off at the rental office during business hours; after hours you may leave the rental vehicle in the University Place overflow lot and drop the keys in the office drop box.
- How do I arrange for Enterprise pickup services?
- Enterprise can pick you up at your home or office; simply call the branch at which you have placed your reservation and let them know what time you would like to be picked up. When you return your vehicle, Enterprise will provide you with a ride back to your home or office. There is no additional charge for this service. Please note that each branch serves a 5-10 mile radius, so confirm that you are within the branch territory when you make your reservation. The Franklin Street Branch phone number is 919-967-5128.
- Can I return my vehicle after hours?
- Enterprise has drop boxes where you can leave the keys for after hours return.
- What form of ID do I need when I pick up my vehicle?
- You will need to present your driver’s license and UNC One Card.
- Are there age requirements for renting a vehicle?
- All University employees who are 18 or older may rent all vehicle types, with the exception of 12-passenger vans which are restricted to University employees 21 and older.
- Is insurance included in the rental?
- All vehicles are insured either by Enterprise/National or by the State of North Carolina. You do not need to purchase additional coverage from Enterprise/National for business rentals. If an accident occurs while using an Enterprise/National vehicle, notify them when returning the vehicle and they will handle internally.
- If I cancel my reservation will I be charged a cancellation fee?
- No, but please notify your Enterprise/National location out of courtesy. You will still be responsible for the nominal booking fee with World Travel paid to make the reservation ($5 online/$10 live agent).
- Can I reserve a specific make and model?
- You can reserve vehicles of a particular class and size. If you have a special request, please call Enterprise/National and they will try to accommodate your request if possible.
- Can I reserve a 15 passenger van?
- UNC Risk Management recommends the use of 8 to 12 passenger vehicles if possible as they are insured under the state contract with Enterprise. If a 15 passenger van is required, it will be insured under the state’s policy with Travelers. If an accident occurs during the use of a 15 passenger van, please complete the 1403.1.1f Auto Loss Notice form and submit to Janet Hoernke within 24 hours. She will report the incident to Travelers for their investigation and handling. For more information regarding the reporting of automobile accidents, see the University’s Policy on Automobile Accidents and Damage.
- How do I pay for fuel for my rental vehicle?
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car guarantees that your rental vehicle will have a minimum of ¼ of a tank upon pickup. Customers have three options for paying for fuel:
- Refill the tank yourself to the level at which you received it using either your T&E Card or your personal credit card. Submit fuel receipts via the Concur mobile app or website for reconciliation of T&E Card activity/reimbursement of out-of-pocket expense. (This is the most commonly used fuel payment method.)
- Prepay for the fuel in the tank at a discounted rate per gallon (calculated once a car is attached to the rental contract); fuel charges will be added to your Enterprise billing. If you do not use the amount in the tank, there are no adjustments or refunds for unused fuel. This payment method is only advantageous if you plan on using what is in the tank.
- Post pay for the number of gallons used at a mark-up price and charges will be included in your Enterprise billing. This method is often considered when paying for only a few gallons of fuel and you do not want to expense an additional receipt to the University.
Enterprise/National representatives are always available to discuss what options will work best for you and your travel plans.
- How do I pay for toll roads?
- If you use a toll road while using your Enterprise/National rental vehicle, a toll invoice will be sent to the driver’s home address approximately 30 days later. Toll fees may be paid with a T&E Card or personal credit card which can then be submitted for reimbursement through Concur.